Local residents are raising donations after a fire displaced two Kirkland families in the Totem Lake neighborhood on June 26.
The blaze, in the 13300 block of 117th Avenue Northeast, began early Wednesday morning at one residence and spread to the house next door, according to the city of Kirkland. The fire was under control by 10:15 a.m. There were no injuries as a result of the fire.
Due to extensive damage of the homes, the residents are staying elsewhere.
“Fortunately, everyone is safe, but there is extensive damage and aftermath in dealing with this situation for the families involved,” Kyle Hutchison wrote in an email to neighbors.
At his home about a block away, the smell of smoke still lingers, he said.
Hutchison is part of the neighborhood care committee for Kingsgate 1 and 2. The group reached out to the impacted families to assess their needs, Hutchinson said. In a partnership with Our Redeemer Lutheran Church for collection and distribution, the committee is collecting Fred Meyer gift cards for the families.
The gifts, Hutchison said, will be distributed to accommodate the greatest needs of the families involved.
Donations can be dropped off at the church office, located at 11611 NE 140th St., during business hours or at the dropbox on the parsonage’s porch.