- About Us
Metropolitan Market to open in Kirkland June 3
Metropolitan Market will open the doors to its first Eastside store in Kirkland’s recently remodeled Houghton Center, located at 10611 N.E. 68th Street at 108th Ave N.E., on June 3.
The 27,500-square-foot store has been completely remodeled to the caliber of its other five, full-service supermarkets throughout Seattle and Tacoma. The store will be open 24 hours.
“Eastsiders have been clamoring for many years to have their own Metropolitan Market,” said Metropolitan Market Chief Executive Officer Terry Halverson. “We believe Kirkland will appreciate our offering of quality, local, natural and organic items right alongside everyday groceries, and we’re working hard to make sure our store caters to the specific tastes of Eastsiders.”
The company will staff the store with more than 120 full- and part-time team members, many of whom are seasoned Metropolitan Market employees. Store Director Jeff Baskett and Assistant Store Director Tom Stark oversee the team and all store operations.
Departments will include:
* A coffee shop featuring Caffe Vita coffee
* A bakery with Gelatiamo gelato and the largest selection of baked goods from local producers, more than any other supermarket
* Charcuterie – including Salumi salami and local, farmstead, and artisan cheeses
* Deli – featuring Met Market’s unique selection of ready-to-eat meals, sushi and hand crafted side dishes
* Seafood – featuring seasonal specialties such as Copper River King salmon, Alaskan King crab legs and local shellfish
* Wine – with wine stewards to help navigate through a robust selection of Pacific Northwest wine; Metropolitan Market won the Seattle Magazine 2010 Readers’ Choice Winner for Grocery Store with Best Selection of Washington Wine
* Produce – showcasing top quality, locally grown, seasonal, organic fruits, vegetables and fresh herbs
* Housewares – Metropolitan Market’s biggest housewares department to date on a dedicated lower level, chock full of kitchen tools of the trade and expertly staffed by culinary professionals
* Wellness – with more than 100 new, food-based, top quality vitamins and supplements
* Floral Shop-- offering the widest selection of cut flowers and hand-tied bouquets to suit
* The Kiosk – with everyday food classes, cooking tips and meal suggestions from Metropolitan Market’s Culinary Artists
* Meat – Choose from premium, naturally raised beef including prime, choice, dry-aged, and Wagyu
In addition, the store has a community conference room that Kirkland residents can reserve for non profit and civic uses.
The store’s signature warm surroundings feature vibrant chalkboard art and soft, spot-lighting. For the Kirkland project in particular, Metropolitan Market also exposed the original structure’s overhead beams to lend artisan character.
Contributors to the store’s creation include GGLO Architecture of Seattle, Commercial Design Systems of Tualatin Ore., Phillips Enterprises of Seattle, and Woodman Construction of Bellevue.
Metropolitan Market supports non profit organizations that are community-specific. For example, the Kirkland store will be supporting its new area partner, Hopelink, which will be to distributing food to the needy. Metropolitan Market also supports schools and churches through its Scrip program, which yields non profits a percentage from gift card purchases.
In the weeks approaching the store opening, a special community treat awaits: watch for our Foodie Finder van making stops for food treats and other random acts of fooding. For more information, follow Metropolitan Market on Twitter (@metmarket) for point by point updates starting Sunday, May 16.
During its first three weeks of June, as part of its grand opening celebrations, more than 250 demonstrations with well known food producers, experts and local chefs will happen in-store. Check http://Metropolitan-Market.com for updates.
* Opening Day! 9 a.m. Thursday, June 3. Inaugural Ribbon and Cake Cutting
Grand opening parties:
* Thursday, June 3, 4-8 p.m.
* Fridays, June 4, 11, and 18, 4-8 p.m.
* Saturdays, June 5, 12, and 19, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and 4-8 p.m.
* Sundays, June 6 and June 13, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Have lunch on us! Come discover all of our lunch time offerings.
* Wednesdays and Thursdays, June 9, 10, 16 and 17, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Dad’s Day BBQ!
* Sunday, June 20 from noon-6 p.m. All about the thrill of the grill.
Kirkland Guest Chef Series at the Culinary Kiosk:
* Monday to Friday, June 21 to 25, 5-7 p.m.
* Saturday, June 26 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 4-6 p.m.