- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Kirkland landmarks receive Historic Designation Awards
The King County Historic Preservation Program and the Landmarks Commission honored two sites in Kirkland on May 15 during the 14th Annual King County Executive’s John D. Spellman Awards program for achievement in historic preservation. The ceremony was held at the VFW Keewaydin Clubhouse on Mercer Island.
The Certificates of Designation were presented to members of the Kirkland ferry clock restoration committee and Barbara Loomis for her 1889 Victorian home near Market Street.
The Captain Anderson Ferry Clock was designated a Kirkland Landmark after a citizens’ committee and the Kirkland Heritage Society worked to restore the 79-year-old icon. Kirkland resident Sue Contreras spearheaded the project and Loita Hawkinson, Vic Newhard, Loomis, Mark Padgett, Matt McCauley and many others worked on the project located at the corner of Lake Street and Kirkland Avenue.
Captain John L. Anderson donated the ferry clock to the city in 1935 and it stopped working in 1945. It read 1:33 o’clock for nearly 70 years. The restoration included a new light standard and, of course, a repair of the mechanics inside the clock to get time moving again.
Loomis also received a Historic Designation Award for her Kirkland home turned bed and breakfast. The Kirkland resident moved into the home in 1973 and worked to restore the landmark during a 20 year period. She opened the Loomis House Bed and Breakfast on a part time basis in 2008 and then full time early last year after lobbying the Kirkland City Council to change city ordinances to allow her business in the residential neighborhood.