Kirkland Reporter’s top 10 most-read stories of 2012
By REPORTER STAFF
Kirkland Reporter Staff
December 27, 2012 · Updated 1:56 PM
Stories about home invasions, deaths and child rapists are among the most-read headlines this year - but not all of the Kirkland Reporter’s articles touched on gloom and doom.
The Kirkland community’s efforts to help the homeless and victims of domestic violence, sprinkled with new business ventures and celebratory events such as SummerFest, often graced the front page of this weekly newspaper's print edition, and website.
Here are the top 10 most-read stories, according to Google Analytics:
1. “Missing boy’s father believes Sky Metalwala could be with third party” (Jan. 2012): Many theories have been floated on the whereabouts of 2-year-old Sky Metalwala.
The boy allegedly went missing in November 2011 while in the custody of his mother, Redmond resident Julia Biryukova. Solomon Metalwala (Sky’s father), of Kirkland, and his attorney Clay Terry spoke out with their own theories as to where the boy may be and took action.
2. “Brothers die in Kirkland motorcycle accident after falling many feet” (Sept. 2012): A motorcycle with brothers Eldon and Gerald Lutz was headed north in the parking lot of the Totem Lake neighborhood park-and-ride when the motorcycle hit the curb at a high rate of speed and fell approximately 15-20 feet down onto N.E. 132nd Street. One of the brothers was then struck by a passing vehicle in the westbound lane. Both later died at Harborview Hospital from their injuries.
3. “Kirkland woman killed by suspected drunk driver on Juanita Drive, Bellevue man in ICU” (Aug. 2012): One woman died and four others were hospitalized the night of Aug. 7 after a suspected drunk driver crossed the center line near N.E. 120th Street on Juanita Drive in Kirkland and struck a car head on. The accident occurred around 8:45 p.m. near Fire Station 25.
4. “Kirkland convicted child rapist charged with attempting to rape girlfriend’s daughter” (July 2012): Ryan D. Firoved was charged with attempted rape of a child after being caught in a sting trying to have sexual contact with his girlfriend’s 9-year-old daughter.
5. “Kirkland woman makes first court appearance for suspected DUI homicide on Juanita Drive” (Aug. 2012): Kelly Hudson made her first appearance in King County Superior Court after being arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide and assault. Her bail was set for $500,000 following a car crash that occurred Aug. 7. Hudson is suspected of driving while under the influence of alcohol, crossing the center line on Kirkland’s Juanita Drive and killing Joyce Parsons, 81, of Kirkland and injuring three other people.
6. “Man dies at N.E. 85th exit, northbound I- 405” (Aug. 2012): A 44-year-old man from Vancouver, Wash., died in a one-car accident Aug. 27 on Interstate 405 at exit 18 in Kirkland. The car caught on fire and was completely engulfed in flames after crashing into the exit 18 sign.
7. “Elderly woman in SUV plows into Denny’s Pet World in Kirkland” (May 2012): An elderly woman accidentally drove her Mazda SUV into Denny’s Pet World, going through six aisles. A woman hit her head and was treated at the scene but was not severely hurt.
8. “Second Kirkland home-invasion robbery in three days leaves man in hospital” (Aug. 2012): A 26-year-old Kirkland man was transported to Harborview Medical Center after he was shot at his home around 10 p.m. in an apparent home-invasion robbery in the Juanita neighborhood. Two armed males forced their way into his residence, pistol whipped the man and shot him in the arm and torso.
9. “Deceased man found at Juanita Bay Park Wednesday morning” (Aug. 2012): The body of a man in his late 40s was found on the boardwalk of Juanita Bay Park and Juanita Beach Park. Kirkland Police said the apparent cause of death was a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
10. “Apartments, gyms coming to Totem Lake neighborhood” (Sept. 2012): Slater 116 apartment, L.A. Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness gym were set to open in Kirkland’s Totem Lake neighborhood.