Redmond police and fire, as well as Kirkland fire responded to a 911 call at 1:16 a.m. on Christmas Eve reporting CPR in-progress at a residence located in the 16400 block of Northeast 91st Street.
According to a press release, Redmond fire units arrived on scene and determined that multiple people had been exposed to carbon monoxide in the attached townhomes.
Redmond police worked to clear all of the attached townhomes and search for additional victims. Ten total individuals were located in various stages of consciousness and transported to area hospitals including Harborview Medical Center, EvergreenHealth, Overlake Medical Center and Virginia Mason, the release states. At least six patients were located inside one townhome. Preliminary investigation indicates the cause may have been a vehicle accidentally left running in the garage of one of the units.
At this time there is no further information on the status of the transported patients, according to the release. Authorities credit the original 911 caller and the prompt response of Redmond fire and police departments with preventing this situation from becoming more tragic. It is unknown if this residence was equipped with carbon monoxide detectors at this point in the investigation.
Redmond public safety employees urge everyone to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide, which is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.