The City of Kirkland is teaming up with hundreds of organizations across Puget Sound to challenge residents to commit to at least one Sound-healthy action during May’s Puget Sound Starts Here month.
Simple Sound-healthy actions residents can take include:
- Taking their car to a commercial car wash instead of washing it in their driveway.
- Fixing auto leaks right away and taking any used fluids to a recycling center.
- Picking up pet waste and placing it in the trash.
- Maintain their septic system or side sewer.
- Using natural yard products like compost and mulch. If they must use chemical pesticides and fertilizers, follow the directions and use them sparingly.
- Landscaping their yard with native plants and trees that soak up rain and slow the flow of runoff.
Learn more about how to keep pollution out of local creeks, lakes and Puget Sound at the Kirkland Conserves blog.