- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Kirkland to offer disaster preparedness workshop April 13
The Kirkland Office of Emergency Management will be offering a Map Your Neighborhood (MYN) train-the-facilitator course for residents who want to organize their neighborhoods in emergency preparedness. The two-hour course is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 13 in the Peter Kirk Room at Kirkland City Hall. For more information and to RSVP contact Robert Reeves at 425-587-3616.
Map Your Neighborhood (MYN) is a state-wide disaster preparedness program that empowers neighborhoods to prepare for emergencies and disaster situations. The program helps save lives, reduces the severity of injuries and trauma, and reduces property damage. In addition, working together as a team and contributing as an individual develops stronger communities and improves the quality of life in Kirkland.
MYN will help you:
• Learn the "9 Steps to Take Immediately Following a Disaster" to secure your home and to protect your neighborhood. It is hard to think clearly following a disaster and these steps will help you to quickly and safely take actions that can minimize damage and protect lives.
• Identify the Skills and Equipment each neighbor has that would be useful in an effective disaster response. Knowing which neighbors have supplies and skills helps your disaster response be timely, and allows everyone to contribute to the response in a meaningful way.
• Create a Neighborhood Map identifying the locations of natural gas and propane tanks for quick response if needed.
• Create a Contact List that helps identify those with specific needs such as elderly, disabled, or children who may be home alone during certain hours of the day.
• Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood during the first hour following a disaster and take the necessary actions.
For more information, contact the Office of Emergency Management at 425-587-3650 or visit the Washington State Emergency Management Division Web site.